Thursday, December 4, 2008

Praying and Following

A commitment I want to make right now to myself, to God and to you, the reader of this blog, is to never ask you to pray for something that I am not spending significant prayer time on myself.

My best friend was telling me this week about something she had been praying for and how God had answered that prayer. It was such an encouragement to me to hear her story, an inspiration of sorts for me to remember to pray in everything.

In so many ways, I feel like starting a ministry to orphan graduates is stepping off a cliff. I don’t know what I’m doing. And I still don’t have clear vision for what it will look like or how to do it. Right now I am making contacts, gathering information, talking to people, trying to get my foot in the door at the orphanage—these just seem like logical first steps.

I prayed for four months that God would show me what to do next and now, as I start taking steps, I don’t want prayer to move to the back burner. I want it to come first in everything I do. I read a book once titled Too Busy Not to Pray. I know that when life starts moving fast, it’s not always easy to make time to spend with God and I know that it becomes far too easy to find excuses for putting it off. Which is why I want to make a commitment to pray first, to trust him to do what I never could and to ask him to keep showing me when and where to move.

Jesus, before walking the road to the cross prayed “Father, not my will, but yours be done.” May my heart and my life and whatever ministry that includes echo the prayer of our Savior as he prepared to walk the most difficult road in order to save lives and glorify the Father.

1 comment:

Carli said...

Yeah, I love you. You encourage me a ton. <3
Encourage, inspire, you know...the important stuff! <3