Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Dream

I love teenagers. Always have. I grew up thinking my older cousins were the best thing on the planet and their friends were just too cool. Then I hit middle school and became the girl everyone called to share their problems with-- my mom was convinced I needed to become a therapist. High school was all about me learning to walk with Christ and falling in love with missions. College began my service in youth ministry and eventually brought me to Ukraine to work with a youth camp and conference organization.

And then there were the orphans. As I said in the previous post, not really a place I thought I would end up. Silly me, hadn’t I read the verses where we are commanded to care for the orphan and the widow? Didn’t I know that the heart of my Father is for the children, the abandoned, the lost, the sinner?

And then I met Max. My friend who grew up on the streets. My heart broke as he shared of his life and then rejoiced as he told of his encounter with Jesus and assured me that his Dad gives him good presents and now he has a home, two jobs, and lots of family.

And then Mark and Jenn arrived. I spent most of my free time at an orphanage and as I walked home at night I couldn’t help but think of all the kids without homes to return to. I yelled at God a lot throughout those months. At the same time I rejoiced and praised him for all the things I saw he was doing—creating families, offering hope and raising awareness.

So when I knew I was moving the question became what will I do? The answer: I want to work with youth. I’d love to get involved with street kids. I’d love to start a center to teach them life skills and just hang out with them. I want to see God glorified in the lives of people the rest of the world has given up on because I believe we are all lost causes, but it didn’t stop God from seeking each one of us.

And then I moved. And as I said, I lost focus a bit. But God’s timing is perfect and he sent me a group of Americans who invited me to visit an orphanage here with them. Surrounded by the kids my dreams began falling back into place.

A week later I was asked to go to Zhitomir where I visited The Shelter and as if finally given the right prescription glasses my dreams shifted into focus and again became a possibility. I stood in the middle of a ministry doing exactly what I want to be doing.

1 comment:

Smith Family ~ "Party of Six" said...

There is a really neat lady I have to find her but her first name is Kathy. She works in Zithmor. She is from Jacksonville and has been in UA for YEARS :) I bet she would know of The Shelter too. I will hook you up with her name.
:)
LOL... the word verification for this post is "no rest" I think of you, and know that you are wise and you rest in HIM :) LOVE YOU!